Yesterday at The Movie Morlocks I wrote about the upcoming Academy Awards and my favorite Best Picture nominee, Steve McQueen’s 12 YEARS A SLAVE. The curious can find my post here. In it I used the word “brutal” to describe my feelings about the batch of films that I watched last year and I shared a list of my favorite films from 2013 that I thought I’d re-post here (naturally it’s limited to what films I’ve had the opportunity to see). I’d like to write a little more in-depth about each of the films on my list so I’ll try to do that in the coming weeks but in the meantime here’s the list.
Top 10 Favorite Films of 2013 (Listed Alphabetically):
1. 12 YEARS A SLAVE (Dir. Steve McQueen)
2. BASTARDS (Dir. Claire Denis)
3. BLING RING, THE / SPRING BREAKERS (Tie: Dir. Sophia Coppola/ Harmony Korine)
4. DRUG WAR (Dir. Johnnie To)
5. FIELD IN ENGLAND, A (Dir. Ben Wheatley)
6. HUNT, THE (Dir. Thomas Vinterberg)
7. MAGIC MAGIC (Dir. Sebastián Silva)
8. ONLY GOD FORGIVES (Dir. Nicolas Winding Refn)
9. SELFISH GIANT, THE (Dir. Clio Barnard)
10. STOKER (Dir. Park Chan-wook)
Bonus: THE SILENCE (Dir. Baran bo Odar) – The film was originally released in 2010 but didn’t get officially released in the U.S. until 2013.